I was so in the mood of preparing "Char Hor Fun" this afternoon, simply did it by sight and taste with the ingredients we have in the pantry. And I replaced the hor fun with vermicelli (or whichever Chinese noodles that you prefer) instead, since we got none at home. Hope you enjoy the recipe below! =)
To prepare the fried vermicelli:
1. Soak the vermicelli in warm water until soft. Drain the water and set aside.
2. Heat up a wok and add some cooking oil. Toss in the vermicelli and do a quick stir.
3. Add light soy source and dark soy sauce and continue to stir the vermicelli until the sauces are well blended with the vermicelli.
4. Continue to stir until the vermicelli are lightly burned or charred. Dish up and set aside.
To prepare the gravy:
1. Add some oil in a wok and stir-fry the minced garlic until fragrant.
2. Add in pork belly and do a quick stir and pour 1 nip of Chinese wine around the wok / pan.
3. Add in water (enough to cover the vermicelli) immediately.
4. Add in seasonings like chicken broth, fish sauce, pepper powder, light soy sauce, salt, and bring it to boil.
5. Add in prawns, fish balls, Kai-lan (Chinese broccoli), eggs (optional) and do another quick stir.
6. Add in starch mixture to thicken the gravy.
7. Pour the gravy and toppings on the vermicelli. Serve hot.
Tada!~ Here comes my home cooked Char Hor Fun for two =D~